Rommates and Living Requirements
Here are a few ideas to keep in mind as you decide who to room with!
Lease and Expenses
- Whose name will be on the lease (or will all tenants)?
- What bills are not covered by the rent payment (the gas bill, electricity bill, water bill, cable, and internet accounts)?
- Whose name will be on the gas bill, electricity bill, water bill, cable, and internet accounts? How do other roommates pay costs?
- How financially stable are you? What are your income sources or other debts?
- How will bill payments be arranged for the deposit, rent utilities and other expenses?
- How will food and other disposable items (such as cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.) be shared/paid for?
- Who gets the bigger bedroom? Who shares the bathroom? Do all roommates have the same costs?
- Who will occupy which areas of the apartment/house?
- How long will each individual remain a resident of the unit? Going on an internship? Study abroad?
- Does your roommate graduate next year? What are your plans?
- Does anyone plan to sublet? When?
- What furniture do you have?
- How will disputes be resolved?
- Do you and your roommates have the same idea of your relationship – are you looking for a best friend, someone with whom to do things on weekends, or just a roommate?
- What kinds of leisure activities might you want to do in the apartment?
- Is it ok to leave your books/projects laid out in the shared areas?
- What are your feelings about the use of tobacco, alcohol or other drugs?
- What kinds of guidelines should we have for guests and/or significant others?
- Which bathroom do guests use?
- How will we arrange/organize cleaning responsibilities? How often?
- How about cooking?
- What items, electronic equipment and appliances can be shared? What cannot be shared?
- What is your typical daily schedule (work, study, sleep, eat)?
- Does everybody take their shoes/boots off at the door during snow season?
- Will we have any pets? Who will take care of it?
- Will there be special rules regarding mid-term or final exam periods?
Find other tips for off-campus housing by following these links: